Have you been asking what does shipment on hold mean DHL? Getting a notice that your shipment has been marked “On Hold” can be somehow annoying, this is especially if you needed the package urgently. It gets even worse if you don’t really understand what the term stands for, this article will explain this terminology to you.
The DHL is one of the most reliable means of shipping mails both in the United States and worldwide.
DHL delivers over 1.6 billion packages every year, with its headquarters in Germany, it is rated as one of the top providers of courier services globally. This is why business owners and regular shippers in the U.S. are conversant with the company.
As a regular shipper, there are several terminologies that are relevant to courier services. The term ‘on hold’ happens to be one of those shipping terms. Sadly, no shipper wants to hear these two words while shipping or expecting a mail.
So, what does shipment on hold mean DHL? Continue reading this article to learn about this.
- What Does Shipment On Hold Mean DHL?
- Why Is My DHL Shipment On Hold?
- DHL Shipment On Hold Customs
- DHL Shipment On Hold In Another Country
- DHL Shipment On Hold After Clearance Processing Complete
- How Long Will My Shipment Be On Hold DHL?
- DHL Shipment On Hold New York City GATEWAY
- Why Is My Shipment On Hold DHL?
- Why Is My DHL Shipment On Hold Awaiting Next Available Cycle?
- 5 FAQs on What Does Shipment On Hold Mean DHL?
What Does Shipment On Hold Mean DHL?
When your DHL shipment is marked “On Hold”, it means your delivery has been delayed and you won’t get it on the estimated date and time.
This notice is another way of saying that your package is not moving and has been placed on hold for any reason.
There are several reasons that could make your shipment to be delayed and placed on hold, we’ll list some of these reasons in the next paragraph.
Receiving a notice that your shipment is on hold could be a little bit frustrating, you might find yourself in a crossroad not knowing the best step to take.
Although, there is quite a little you can do to salvage the situation, finding out what really caused the delay might help a lot.
Why Is My DHL Shipment On Hold?
According to a DHL staff, shipments that contravenes a particular country’s import law, or subject to Custom and Regulatory Agencies & Authorities scrutiny usually get marked as ‘on hold’.
Why your DHL shipment is on hold depends on the shipment stage, if your shipment is held at DHL facility, it could mean there is a technical problem, social unrest, route changes, holidays, or natural disaster.
For legitimate reasons, your shipment could be on hold at Customs facility. If this is the case, there is a need to reach out to DHL and the shipper so as to find out what is needed for the shipment to be released. Also learn if DHL Deliver On Sunday
DHL Shipment On Hold Customs
If your shipment is on hold at Customs facility, there may be a need for confirmation of documents or Customs duty payment, it is very likely that there is some sort of documentation problem that needs to be sorted out before the shipment will be released.
Also, port congestion, closed border, or incomplete documentation can cause your shipment to be on hold.
Reaching out to concerned parties (your shipper and DHL) will help you get an accurate information why your shipment is on hold.
DHL Shipment On Hold In Another Country
If your shipment is tagged “on hold” in another country, it could be a case of a closed border. As long as DHL is unable to get it through, it will be marked “on hold”.
Another reason your package is on hold in another country may be port congestion, this is very common during holiday seasons. Although port congestions usually get sorted out between 1 to 2 days, you’ll have to wait for Customs to process DHL’s packages.
Incomplete documentation is one of the major causes of packages being delayed at Customs. Sometimes it may be the seller didn’t include some vital documents, if this is the case, you need to reach out to the seller and urge him or her to send necessary documents to DHL. Also mean what is DHL Scheduled For Delivery As Agreed
DHL Shipment On Hold After Clearance Processing Complete
If your package is still on hold after it was said to have completed the Custom clearance processing, it is possible you haven’t paid the import tax on them. Find out what could still be delaying your package from your seller.
Also, it could mean that all required documents have been submitted for Customs declaration, but your package will still be on hold until the final release confirmation by Customs. Does DHL Deliver On Sunday?
How Long Will My Shipment Be On Hold DHL?
This depends on what is actually causing the delay of your shipment. If it is port congestion, it should clear within 1-2 days. Issues like closed border or incomplete documentation may take a little while. How soon your seller is able to present required documents will determine how soon your shipment will be released.
Also, imagine there is a security concern in a neighboring country and the border is closed, your package will remain on hold until the security issue is sorted out. Should it take 2 months for the issue to be resolved, your package will be on hold for 2 months. Also read What Does Enroute Mean DHL?
DHL Shipment On Hold New York City GATEWAY
If your DHL shipment is on hold at the New York City Gateway, it means that it is being held at the DHL facility in New York City for further processing. This can happen for a variety of reasons, including:
- Customs clearance: If your shipment is coming from outside of the United States, it must go through customs clearance before it can be delivered. This process can take some time, especially if there are any issues with the documentation or if your shipment contains items that are subject to duty or taxes.
- Additional security checks: DHL may also place shipments on hold for additional security checks. This is especially likely if your shipment contains certain types of items, such as electronics, jewelry, or hazardous materials.
- Unforeseen events: Sometimes, shipments may be placed on hold due to unforeseen events, such as bad weather or natural disasters.
Why Is My Shipment On Hold DHL?
There are lots of reasons why your shipment is on hold. Issues like bad weather, shortage of staff, incomplete documentation, faulty or missed truck, closed border, port congestion, and changed route can stop your shipment from moving. It is best you reach out to your sender and DHL to actually ascertain what is stopping your shipment from moving.
There are a number of reasons why your DHL shipment may be on hold. Some of the most common reasons include:
- Customs clearance issues. This is the most common reason for shipment delays. Customs officials may need additional information or documentation from you in order to clear your shipment.
- Incomplete or inaccurate shipping information. This can include missing or incorrect recipient information, customs declarations, or other documentation.
- Prohibited or restricted items. DHL is prohibited from shipping certain items, such as dangerous goods, hazardous materials, and live animals. If your shipment contains a prohibited item, it will be held.
- Operational delays. This can include things like bad weather, flight cancellations, and system outages.
- High volume. DHL may experience increased shipping volumes during certain times of the year, such as the holidays. This can lead to delays, especially for shipments that are not time-sensitive.
Also learn What Does Missent Mean DHL?
Why Is My DHL Shipment On Hold Awaiting Next Available Cycle?
Your shipment may be on hold awaiting the next available cycle if it is simply waiting to be loaded onto the next truck or plane. This is often the case if your shipment is being shipped to a remote or less frequently serviced area. Also, this can happen for other reasons, such as a high volume of shipments or bad weather.
A DHL shipment on hold means that the shipment has been temporarily stopped from moving on its journey. This can happen for a variety of reasons, such as customs clearance, additional documentation requirements, or payment of customs duties and taxes.
If you see that your DHL shipment is on hold, you can try to get more information about the reason for the hold by contacting DHL customer service. They will be able to tell you why your shipment is on hold and what you need to do to resolve the issue.
5 FAQs on What Does Shipment On Hold Mean DHL?
1. What are the most common reasons for a DHL shipment to be on hold?
The most common reasons for a DHL shipment to be on hold are:
- Customs clearance
- Missing or incorrect documentation
- Payment of customs duties and taxes
- High volume of shipments
- Bad weather
2. How long will my DHL shipment be on hold?
The amount of time that your DHL shipment will be on hold depends on the reason for the hold. If the shipment is waiting for customs clearance, it can take a few days. If the shipment is waiting for additional information or documentation, it can take a few days to weeks. If the shipment is waiting for payment of customs duties and taxes, it will be held until the payment is received.
3. What can I do if my DHL shipment is on hold?
If your DHL shipment is on hold, you can contact DHL customer service to get more information about the reason for the hold and what you need to do to resolve the issue. You can also try to track your shipment online to see if the status has changed.
4. Can I pick up my DHL shipment if it is on hold?
Yes, you can pick up your DHL shipment if it is on hold. You will need to contact DHL customer service to arrange for pickup.
5. What should I do if my DHL shipment is lost or stolen?
If your DHL shipment is lost or stolen, you should contact DHL customer service immediately. They will be able to help you track down your shipment or file a claim.