Are you among the folks that have been asking Why Did My FedEx Package Go Backwards? This question has been asked by FedEx customers severally, you are literally not alone in this.
The FedEx delivery process is not all that smooth, packages do sometimes get stuck, delayed, and even go backward. Even though FedEx have continued to put in efforts to ensure that packages are delivered promptly, there are instances where you might notice that your package is going backwards.
If you are in such a situation and you are asking why did my FedEx package go backwards, this post will provide every information you need. However, we will first explain the FedEx package routing system and how it works, this will help you understand why your package went backwards.
FedEx Package Routing System
The FedEx package routing system assigns orders to relevant postal or zip codes, this takes place once these parcels are processed in the system.
The FedEx Package Routing system makes use of the Dynamic Route Organization (DRO) technology. This technology enables FedEx drivers to easily deliver packages by optimizing the routes assigned to the drivers.
In simple terms, we can say that the FedEx package routine process is automated to ensure accurate delivery of packages.
Now that you understand how the FedEx Package Routing system works, lets attend to some questions concerning the FedEx packages and deliveries.
Why Did My FedEx Package Go Backwards?
When your FedEx package goes backwards, it means that you are not going to receive it. It is almost like saying that the package is undeliverable and it is on its way back to where it came from.
There are several reasons why your package went backwards. However, it all boils down to one thing; FedEx are unable to deliver it. Below are the few reasons why your package is going backwards:
- The package was misrouted. This can happen when the package is incorrectly scanned or when it is placed in the wrong container.
- The package is being shipped to a consolidation center. Consolidation centers are used to group packages together before they are shipped to their final destination. This can sometimes involve sending the package in the opposite direction of its final destination.
- The package is being shipped on a less direct route. This can happen for a variety of reasons, such as weather conditions or traffic congestion.
- The package is being held for customs clearance. This can happen if the package is being shipped internationally or if it contains certain prohibited items.
Why Is My FedEx Package Going The Wrong Way?
If your package went the wrong way, it is possible there was a human or machine error while sorting orders. Sometimes, a parcel may fall into the wrong container and will be taken to the wrong city. In most cases, this is always discovered during another sorting and redirected to the right destination.
Also, packages in the United States are sorted, collected and joined with other parcels to be delivered in the country. At some point, you may notice that your package is going the wrong way, this is because it is going with packages that are to be delivered first, this happens especially if your package was the only one to be delivered in your city. It may take a little while longer but you will still get your parcel.
FedEx Package Taking Weird Route
As a result of trying to hit delivery targets, FedEx drivers may take other routes to deliver packages that are closer before heading to your location. Although, the safety of your package should be your concern, worry less on the weird routes because your package will be delivered.
There are a few reasons why a FedEx package might take a weird route, find some of them below:
- Human error: A package could be mistakenly routed to the wrong location due to human error. This could happen at any point in the shipping process, from the packing and labeling stage to the scanning and sorting stage.
- FedEx driver making other deliveries first: The delivery driver could have decided to first deliver packages at locations that are closer to him before heading to your location.
- Weather conditions: Weather conditions can also cause packages to be rerouted. For example, if there is a storm in the area where the package is supposed to be delivered, it might be rerouted to a different location where the weather is better.
- Capacity constraints: FedEx might reroute a package if there is a capacity constraint at the original destination. This could happen if there is a lot of volume at that location, or if there is a problem with the sorting facility.
- Technical issues: Technical issues, such as a power outage or a computer glitch, can also cause packages to be rerouted.
- Customs clearance: If the package is being shipped internationally, it might need to go through customs clearance. This can add a few days to the shipping time, and the package might be rerouted to a different location during the clearance process.
In some cases, you may be able to request that a FedEx package be rerouted. However, this is not always possible, and it may delay the delivery even further. If you are able to request a reroute, you will need to contact the shipper and they will need to contact FedEx.
FedEx Only Delivered One Of Two Packages
If you were expecting delivery of two packages from FedEx but ended up getting one, it is possible you may receive the second package the same day.
The reason for this could be maybe someone else loaded the truck and did not possibly notice there are 2 parcels assigned to your stop. It could also be that the driver was rushing and didn’t go through and find the other package.
Another possible reason is that one of the package could be express, and the other one HD or ground. If this is the case, both packages will not be delivered same time.
FedEx Package Has Been Released
If your FedEx package has been released, it means that it has cleared customs and is now on its way to you. The release process can take a few days, so it is not unusual for the tracking status to show “International Shipment Release Import” for a few days before the package is actually delivered.
Once the package is released, it will be delivered by FedEx Ground or FedEx Express, depending on the shipping service that was used. The delivery time will vary depending on the distance the package has to travel and the shipping service that was used.
If you are expecting a package that has been released by FedEx, you can track its progress using the FedEx tracking website or app.
Why Did My FedEx Package Go Back To Facility?
There are several reasons why customers’ packages do get returned to a FedEx facility, read some of the major reasons below:
- The address was incorrect or incomplete. This is the most common reason why a package is returned to the facility. Make sure to double-check the address before you ship the package.
- The recipient was unavailable to receive the package. If the recipient was not home when the package was delivered, the driver may have left a door tag and taken the package back to the facility.
- The package was damaged or refused. If the package was damaged or the recipient refused to accept it, the driver may have taken it back to the facility.
- There was a problem with customs clearance. If the package was being shipped internationally, it may have been returned to the facility if there was a problem with customs clearance.
- The package was misrouted. This is less common, but it can happen if the package was mistakenly sent to the wrong facility.
FedEx Missing Package
If your FedEx package is missing, you need to report the missing package promptly. You should only do this after your recipient had checked and confirmed that the package was not left by FedEx driver.
To report a FedEx missing package, follow the steps below.
- Log in to your account on FedEx and open the FedEx tracking page.
- Insert the package tracking number or reference number.
- Tap ‘Manage Delivery.
- Tap ‘Report Missing Package’
- Click ‘Yes’ to confirm that the package has not been received by your recipient.
- Insert your contact number, phone number, email address and your name.
- Indicate your preferred way of contact (email or text).
- Confirm that you are okay with FedEx contacting you.
- Click ‘Submit’. Your report’s assigned case number will be sent to you.
- Click ‘Done’.
FedEx will contact you as soon as possible to assist in locating your missing parcel.